Trinity College Dublin (TCD) held an Open Day on Saturday, 10th December 2016, from 9 am to 3.30 pm. The Department of Civil, Structural and Environmental Engineering had a stand at this event, where TRUSS ITN was represented by the early stage researcher, Rui Teixeira, hosted by that same institution. Rui distributed TRUSS brochures to the attendants, explained the objectives of the project overall and his research, ESR4, on wind turbines in particular.
The Open Day is an event that brings together the general public and researchers from various fields, working mainly to tackle the lack of awareness that exists in the public sphere about the challenges and benefits of a higher education. With 175 presentations, activities and tours during the whole day, the event attracted more than one thousand visitors, from mostly second-level students and their parents/guardians, to mature students, teachers, guidance counsellors and punctual curious people. The wide range of activities included:
- Mini lectures about each of TCD courses,
- Tours of the Campus, Libraries, Labs and Sports Centre,
- Research demonstrations and Clinical skills sessions,
- Presentations about Student Sports, Societies, the Students’ Union, and Accommodation,
- Information sessions for Mature Students, Students with disabilities, Trinity Access Programmes, and Parents/guardians.
For TRUSS ITN and for the engineering field, events such as Open Days are useful in showing developments in the sector to the public at a closer range, and in alerting about the challenges faced by today’s highly dynamic society.