Federico Perrotta (ESR13) together with his supervisor Dr Tony Parry attended the Microlise Transport Conference 2016 which took place on the 18th May at the Ricoh Arena, Coventry, UK. The conference received more than 1,000 delegates in a 6,000 m2 space for both the conference and exhibition areas, from which 4,000 m2 were exhibition space for suppliers, transport operators and trade associations.
Key speakers such as Kevin Richardson, Chief Executive of the “Chartered Institute of Logistics and Transport”, Tim Ward, Freight and Fleet Communications and Engagement Manager of “Transport for London”, Lesley O’Brien, Partner of “Freightlink Europe” and Board Director of the Road Haulage Association (RHA) and Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal, Patron of international transport development charity “Transaid”, among others, discussed main topics such as:
- improvements of standards in road transport industry;
- road transport safety;
- low road transport industry costs;
- raising awareness of the industry;
- new technologies;
- the future of transport economy;
Workshops were divided in different areas of interest:
- Road Transport 2020 – Truck Manufacturers Talk Industry Future: talking about the future of trucks and road transport industry;
- Microlise Workshop: about new technologies and services offered by the company to its customers;
- RHA Compliance Workshop: talking about road safety and insurance compliance;
- Motor Transport Workshop: about issues and solutions provided by different companies involved in road transport industry.
This conference provided the ESR a deep understanding of current challenges in the road transport industry, and the scale of the organization needed to address them. Microlise is a partner in TRUSS where it provides a secondment to ESR13. During his stay at Microlise, Federico will be supervised by Dr. Mohammad Mesgarpour and Mr. Ian Dickinson, receiving training in truck sensor data collection, with particular reference to fuel consumption and associated factors, such as fleet management system standard, engine performances and geospatial data handling. Federico will also gain exposure to truck manufacturers and truck fleet operators and understand their priorities with respect to fleet operating costs control.